Looking to tie down their prospects, Chelsea are reportedly set to offer Reece James a new long-term deal this summer. The Blues gave the U20 international something to ponder, as the threat of a looming transfer ban lingers on.
According to reports, talks are set to start in the coming weeks with Chelsea confident that the youngster will commit his future with the club. The 19-year-old James starred on loan at Wigan this season. He enjoyed a solid performance with the club before rejoining his first team. James was part of the Championship team of the year despite Wigan’s relegation. He was also featured in almost every league game and was even seen with the captain’s armband on his last appearance.
He made a cameo appearance against a Major League Soccer side, New England Revolution, in a friendly game last week. It was also during this friendly game that Ruben Loftus-Cheek injured his ankle, putting Chelsea in jeopardy as they face Arsenal in the Europa League final. The Europa League final will be on May 29 in Baku.
The talented teenager has three more years on his existing contract. But this did not stop the big bosses from offering James a longer term. Reports state that Chelsea are set to offer the versatile youngster improved terms. Also included are better guarantees, which include joining the first team next season as they face a two-window transfer embargo.
Chelsea’s current reserve right-back Davide Zappacosta is said to be leaving Stamford Bridge in the summer. Also interested in James are several top tier clubs, including Manchester United. The English club is said to have been tracking James for several months now. Aside from EPL clubs, a number of teams from the Bundesliga are also turning their attention to the teenager.